FEATURE OF THE MONTH: MAY 2018
FRESH 48 NEWBORN SESSION
What is a Fresh 48 session? Fresh 48 is a lifestyle newborn session at the place of birth in the daytime within 24-48 hours of delivery. It may be at the hospital, birthing centre, or your home. Fresh 48 focuses on capturing the first candid moments with baby in a fresh natural way. It differs from a traditional newborn session that is posed with props and lights.
This month features a Fresh 48 newborn session that took place at Rebecca’s home. I had just taken her maternity photos a few weeks before and was so excited to meet the newest addition to her family. In this feature story, Rebecca shares her insights on her birth experience and motherhood.
1. How does it feel to have a new member of the family? We love him so much already! He’s filling a space that we didn’t know existed. It’s true what they say, your love multiplies, not divides, as your family grows.
2. Tell me more about the gender surprise, how did it feel and was it hard to wait? Waiting was easy until 10 minutes before he was born. The fact that the gender was going to be a surprise was the perfect motivation to push the baby out, I needed to know! It was so fun to hear all of the guesses along the way, most people guessed boy based on my round low belly so maybe there’s something to these old wives tales!
3. How would you describe your birth in 3 words? INTENSE . LOUD . FULFILLING
4. Where did you deliver your baby and anything to share about the experience? I delivered my baby boy in the tub at the Toronto Birth Centre. It was an unmedicated natural birth and it was way harder than I imagined! I am not ashamed to admit how loud I was screaming and I just hope I didn’t permanently damage Yoav’s hearing! When it came time to push I was very eager and I delivered him in 3 pushes. The reward of pulling my son up to my chest fulfilled me so deeply and both my husband and I were crying tears of joy.
5. If you had to share one piece of advice to an expectant mom about how to prepare for birth or post birth, what would it be? It’s hard to pick just one thing so here are my top tips. Make lists of things you hope to accomplish before the baby arrives but don’t forget to add in relaxing and enjoyable activities like a spa day or a date night. Be kind to each other because you are each other’s biggest support. Prepare some freezer foods during the second half of your pregnancy by cooking double batches. When friends or family ask how they can help, don’t be shy to delegate laundry folding, cooking, or sweeping.
6. What is the significance of the motorcycle helmet? Before the dog and kids came along, Yoav’s motorcycle was his baby. Two kids later and an additional motorcycle later, bikes are still a huge passion of his. There’s something beautiful about the symbolism of putting your most delicate possession into the helmet. It’s like a promise to always protect him while he’s vulnerable and a hope that one day they can enjoy this hobby together as father and son.
7. How do you plan to use or display your photos? I plan to make a photo collage on one of our living room walls and I’ll also be ordering a few photo books for ourselves and grandparents online.
8. Do you recommend maternity photos? And why? I absolutely recommend capturing maternity and newborn photos. I never imagined how beautifully my photos would turn out and I’m so grateful to have the imagines to remember how special this time in my life was. Pregnancy is not always glamorous but giving yourself an opportunity to embrace this unique period in your life is important.
Thank you for taking the time to check out this feature blog post.
It is recommended to book Fresh 48 sessions early to confirm availability for me to be on-call to capture this special moment. Up to 1-2 Fresh 48 sessions are available each month. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at anytime at email@example.com.
About: Pictonat Photography is located in Midtown Toronto, south of Yonge and Eglinton. Nathalie is owner and photographer with a passion for delivering images that capture emotions and tell a story with an intimate and fresh feel. Her area of focus is on families of all ages from bump to baby and beyond.